Flash-fiction is a great way to produce some terrific writing, especially if you are under a deadline.
A flash-fiction competition enables you to access ideas and turns of phrase which you may not find when you sit down to write in a longer, more peaceful mode. It doesn’t suit everyone but it’s another tool in the arsenal of writing methods.
Port Writers introduced the Port500 in October, 2019.
The aim is to incorporate a set of assigned prompts into a complete story using only 500 words. Hence, Port500. We even made up a nifty trophy that you can proudly display for the month if you win.
How It Works
- Each meeting the Agenda is sent by email and will include the prompts you need to include if you choose to enter the next Port500
- You have the time from receiving the agenda until the meeting to write your 500 words
- At the meeting, register your entry at the front desk
- A segment each meeting is dedicated to the Port500 – you’ll have a chance to review your entry before reading it
- Each entrant reads their 500 words
- The members’ present judge by way of applause which story they liked best
- If you win, you take home the Port500 trophy until the next month
The Port500 is not too serious – just another way PWI offers members to develop their craft – yet it’s surprising what is written.
The competition is only open to Port Writers Inc members and you need to be there on the day to read your 500 words in front of the judging panel – the other members.
As they say, you’ve got to be in it to win it 🙂